Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Accepting Imperfections

I have never thought or considered myself the perfect mother.
I suck at housekeeping and sometimes my depression gets in the way.
Sometimes I'm forgetful of packing socks and undies or hats.
I don't believe in helicopter parenting and want my kids to grow up as free as i did.
Climbing trees, exploring and playing with their buddies.
I try to provide my kids with the best I can afford, even if that means more than often, myself missing out.
I like my kids to experience goodies. Soft drinks, lollies and "sometimes" foods.
My kids deserve to feel safe and happy in their surroundings.
I have flaws, many in fact and I attempt to shield them from my kids

Last week I had the mother of all weeks. Right before Christmas.
Honestly most of it is pretty trivial, but one incident sticks out like a very sore thumb

My little boy got hurt, very hurt. 

My oldest is 10 and in 10 years we have never had a serious injury. I counted our blessings and maybe I was feeling a little cocky. My kids have never had a broken bone or serious bump. No sprains or stitches. I was on a roll to safety heaven. The kids could be free within bounds and still wouldn't get hurt.

I never ever ever shower when my kids are awake. I have heard countless stories about parents not watching kids and accidents happening. Wariness is my best friend.

I'm not sure why I decided to have a shower on Friday last week, Cgirl needed me to wash her hair out and I figured since the boys were playing quietly all would be well.
But It wasn't
I heard the most ear piercing scream of my life. Jman and Hboy had decided to drag our coffee table closer to the couch and play "jump off the table, spring on the couch". I didn't have a clue until I ran into my lounge room.
Jman hopped about from foot to foot crying that Hboy was bleeding. As I walked over to Hboy I saw blood. I told Jman soothingly that It would be fine, "we'd just clean him up and whack on a band aid". I grabbed a towel I had ready for Cgirl and scooped Hboy up while compressing his head. As I removed the towel I knew he needed medical help right away. Two angry gaping wounds faced me. He had hit a coffee mug with his head, it shattered.

My heart filled with adrenalin.
 My baby boy needed help NOW.

Cgirl for the first time in her life found HERSELF some clothing and dressed in lightening speed. Jman was in hysterics upset that he had killed his brother and the world was ending.
I distracted Jman by asking him to get together every one's shoes. The poor little darling was a mess.
I had a dilemma, I was home alone and needed to get dressed. I didn't know how serious Hboy's wounds were so didn't want to waste any time calling someone to come over, to hold him while I dressed.

I looked at Cgirl, my tower of strength. My four year old usual troublemaker (but total sweety) was poised. No crying. I laid Hboy down and told Cgirl to come to the edge of the couch and hold the towel on his head. She zipped over without a hint of fear. She held his towel, stroked his legs and soothed him while I got dressed in about 30 seconds (record for me). She is my hero and I am so proud.

We headed for our closest medical centre and as I entered the doors with my 2 terrified kids behind me, holding their little brother in my arms I was pointed to a room out the back.
The wonderful medical centre nurse came in and assessed while a doctor was called. Much to the dismay of the other patients - sometimes you can wait for hours to be seen at said medical centre, sorry guys!!

He was assessed and the Ambo's called. He had fallen asleep in the car and I was so worried about concussion, The nurse told me that sleeping isn't as much a worry anymore when it comes to concussion and that worry was put on the back burner.
The Ambo's arrived in ten minutes. By this time Hboy was sitting up eating a lolly pop asking why he was wearing a giant hat made of bandages. The Daddy Man's Nana came and collected Hboy and Cgirl and Hboy and I made our way to hospital.
Hboy was alert all the way wondering what all the fuss was about. The Daddy Man had arrived and admitted him before we got there, Thanks babe xxxx

After a few hours of observations and the plastic surgeon called in, Hboy was prepped for surgery. This gorgeous 3 year old boy cried twice...TWICE. Once when he hit the floor and the second time when they put his cannula in.
Surgery took roughly 30 minutes and another wound was found. He was stitched and within an hour eating and walking around. We were discharged and set off home.

I had the mum guilt's. I felt like The Worst Mother EVER...In the whole worlddd.
Since it all happened I have had mums all come out, telling me about broken limbs and injuries their kids have had. I'm feeling better, only slightly Post traumatic stress like now.

16 Internal, 26 external stitches. He's still cheeky!!


As for Hboy it's like nothing ever happened, well aside from the giant harry potter stitch on his forehead. But he's not phased. He enjoyed the attention and is carrying on as usual. He gets a bit cranky when mummy pulls him off things he's climbing on. 

He still hasn't learnt.











4 comments:

  1. You are not the worst mother ever, you are the best! Look how calmly you sorted everyone out & got medical attention for your baby in the fastest possible way! You deserve a medal, & maybe a lie down :)
    We have been to our local hospital quite a bit with our 2 monkeys, despite my best intentions. The hospital staff just smile & say 'boys will be boys', & I think it's actually true.
    You are doing a great job.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mrs Bc, Its scary the first time. Maybe by the 10th i'll laugh lol. Thanks for the card and goodies btw xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG that would have been absolutely terrifying! You sound like you handled it brilliantly. Poor boy (who is absolutely gorgeous btw), I would have been an absolute mess. Nothing (touch wood) that serious has happened in my house but they are kids and I know it's just a matter of time. Hopefully I react as swiftly as you did. Hope you ended up having a Merry Christmas, and all the very best for the new year x

    ReplyDelete