Friday, February 24, 2012

Oh Nanny, dont be bossy!!

There has been alot of talk over the past few years regarding the Australian government turning our states/country into Nanny states.

Smoking is being vilified.
Calls have been made to make smacking children illegal.
Pets are under scrutiny.
Money is under scrutiny.
In general our lives are being shaped before our eyes by people who do not live them!

I have my own beliefs on things that the government seem fit to tax/take away/make illegal
But beyond that all when do we say enough is enough??

Last week I saw on the news that businesses have started turning away people with visible tattoo's.
We have known for years that many employers turn their nose up at alternative body modifications.
Childrens food advertising is being looked down upon.
And just today I saw a news article about a little girl being called obese because a computer says so.
Gay and Lesbians cannot get married...still..

Now while there may be great reasons for all of above to be shunned, why do people other than ourselves get to make those decisions?

So while KRudd and Princess Julia are battling it out to see who will win the million dollar ticket, I have a few of my own rants to state!




I don't care if you smoke, I will move away.
I don't agree with making smacking illegal.
Pets...keep your pets in your yard!
Money - I want more of...but who doesn't?

While I do not personally have any visible tattoos, my partner does and if he can work in a high end department store, that sells items that cost more than my weekly shopping bill. Then why can't people walk into a bogan pub with a bit of art on their arms?

Employers turning people away for jobs on the basis of a bit of body mod shits me. Seriously? Unless there is risk of contamination, how will a body piercing affect someone's ability to be a great employee? I know, I know, there's the whole "but its offensive" crap. Once again as I always state, look away!! I don't avoid a store or business because I find someones nose to be too huge, or that their eyebrows resemble agro.

Children's food advertising. While I don't like that these companies advertise their fat ladden menu's in my children's viewing times, I know where the off switch is. I know how to say no and encourage my kids to eat healthy tummy filling foods. I also know what moderation is!

Why do we use a body mass index to determine whether we are healthy or not? We all know it does not measure muscle. I have been dealing with a son, that I am terrified of slipping into an eating disorder the past few weeks. He isn't even chubby, but school and the like have been filling his brain with all sorts of ideas on what is and isn't healthy. Their has been no mention of moderation, just what is and isn't bad. How do you expect a 7 year old to understand that? Telling a 7 year old child not to eat ANYTHING rather than getting fat scares the hell out of me.

And the good old Gay marriage issue. It's well known that I am Pro gay marriage. But aside from that why do we allow religion (for non religious types) to dictate peoples lives?
Like The Daddy Man says - Everyone has a right to be miserable.

Can't we as a nation...be different to the rest of the world and be accepting?
Accept people for who they are. If you arent hurting anyone/anything. Can we not just play nice?

I know...world peace and all that crap.

Maybe life is just high school without classes everyday!!





No comments:

Post a Comment